NOAA Acquisition ManualMain Table of Contents
Subchapter B- Competition and Planning
Part 1330-10 Market Research
Part 1330-10 Market Research
Use the market research checklist when conducting formal surveys.
This policy applies to all commercial vendor demonstration and product/service display activities at NOAA facilities, whether initiated by the Government or a vendor.
- NOAA encourages appropriate vendor demonstrations as a useful way for NOAA staff members to stay abreast of the types of products, technology and/or services available in the marketplace that may be useful to support NOAA operations and programs.
- Any meetings and discussions between vendor personnel and NOAA representatives during vendor demonstrations must be properly conducted to ensure they do not create a potential exclusive situation that gives competitive advantage or otherwise disadvantages participants in a future competition.
- All vendor demonstrations shall be authorized by the NOAA Line or Staff Office Division Director or equivalent, responsible for the NOAA mission area and approved by the HCO for the Line OR Staff Office’s servicing Acquisition Division.
- NOAA representatives shall:
- Refresh their understanding of laws, regulations, and policies so they know their proper roles and responsibilities, to avoid incurring unauthorized costs or liability, improperly disclosing protected information, and engaging in prohibited activities, and
- Review specific guidance provided by their NOAA Line or Staff Office Division Directors or equivalent, and complete any required training in advance of attending a vendor demonstration.
(c) Roles and responsibilities
- The NOAA Line or Staff Office Division Director or equivalent shall:
- Identify a NOAA sponsor for the vendor demonstration who serves as the single NOAA point of contact representative,
- Review and approve or disapprove the proposed vendor activity, and
- Provide guidance regarding any technical or other matters related to the vendor demonstration.
- The NOAA sponsor shall:
- Serve as the point of contact for NOAA Line and Staff Offices, as identified by the division director, for communication among all the parties, including the vendor and any NOAA staff involved in the process,
- Ensure that vendor demonstrations comply with all required security and/or other access requirements and procedures,
- Arrange any Government-furnished information technology or audiovisual support necessary for the demonstration, and
- Supervise the vendor activity while the vendor is on-site at the NOAA facility.
- The HCO for the line or staff office shall:
- Ensure that allowing the demonstration to be conducted would not provide the vendor an unfair competitive advantage in any current or potential procurements, and in so doing either approve or disapprove the vendor demonstration,
- Review and execute the Vendor Demonstration Agreement accordingly, and
- Provide the NOAA sponsor and any other participants with additional guidance or training required to preclude a ratification action resulting from the demonstration if necessary.
- The NOAA Sponsor shall:
- Prepare the NOAA Vendor On-Site Demonstration Request and Approvals checklist and the Vendor Demonstration Agreement, and
- Coordinate with the appropriate NOAA office or other office and obtain any required approvals prior to processing the request (e.g., if the vendor intends to bring any equipment/aids on-site that could have environmental or safety issues).
- The Line or Staff Office Division Director shall:
- Review the checklist and agreement for accuracy and completeness and determines the overall value of the vendor activity to the organization,
- Indicate approval or disapproval on the checklist and specifies any restrictions deemed appropriate on the vendor activity, and
- Sign the Vendor Demonstration Agreement, if approved, and authorize the NOAA sponsor to execute the Agreement.
- The NOAA sponsor routes the checklist through the applicable program manager for approval/disapproval if the vendor demonstration is for the benefit of a particular NOAA program.
- HCO reviews the planned activity and may restrict or prohibit the vendor’s activity if current or anticipated procurements could be adversely affected. If the HCO concurs in the conduct of the vendor demonstration, the HCO indicates approval on the checklist and executes the Vendor Demonstration Agreement.
- The NOAA sponsor obtains the vendor’s signature on the Vendor Demonstration Agreement after NOAA approvals and internal signatures have been obtained.